Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Sew lately

I'm joining in with the Mend and Make New's clothes swap  and really enjoyed reading both Jenny's post here and Butter and Buntings post here.

So much so that I thought I would do a bit of a sew lately, as it has been awhile!





I purchased Big Little's classic coat pattern over a year ago and had it sitting in my mind for this winter along with a pink vintage blanket I had found. And although Poppet has cried every time I photograph her in it, its been brilliant to take out on colder days and looks super cute with her dresses. The sew itself was really easy, the hardest part was the sewing of the thickest layers but my machine made it with no major hiccups! I lined the coat with some vintage sheeting so the biggest cost were some snaps and the buttons!




I had been eying up the roly-poly pinafore for a while before I decided to purchase it, so glad I did I think so far I have made 5 some for poppet and some for gifts! I love that the pattern goes right up to a size ten and that I can make one in such a short time! This was my first attempt and a great project to use this lovely vintage material I had stashed away. On the reverse I used a cute pink light corduroy with a vintage rabbit pocket detail, its hard to choose what way to put it on some days.


I made poppet a couple of hats this summer which I found extremely rewarding since she was in them pretty much everyday. I used the free Oliver and S pattern but this tutorial and made mine fully reversible which I found WAY easier.


This Georgia Twirl dress started out so well, was awesome in fact until it came to hemming the bottom, so honestly no one better look too closely! One layer is just over locked and the other looks like a wiggly worm sewed it! In saying that the instructions and fit are just lovely, and Poppet thinks its an amazing dancing dress. Anyone got any hints on hemming a circle skirt that doesn't include bias?



I finally purchased the full Geranium pattern after having a practice go with the free 0-3 pattern. I made poppets the size 3 top size, and I have to say it was super easy and actually really lovely to make. I will definitely be making her some more and I love that the pattern has a few variations to change it up.


And of course little man got lots and lots of shorts!



6 comments:

  1. These look fantastic and no doubt she is loving them and you feel just a little proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yeah I do feel just a little bit proud :)

      Delete
  2. Oh that coat is wonderful. Id love to make one for myself. Lovely to see your kids and get an idea on what they wear for the swap. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yes a grown up size coat would be awesome ahy!

      Delete
  3. Love that coat! So inspirational! Which shorts pattern do you use btw? The MADE one? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, I actually use the Simplicity shorts pattern you are giving away in your second spot prize! But must try the MADE one as well, I like to make them long so they start as 3/4 shorts and last the distance, that pair my son is wearing I made for him two Christmas's ago...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...